The Carrottop Mom posted this Sprinkles cupcakes recipe – all credit to her!
“Makes 24 large, or 30 medium cupcakes
Red Velvet Sprinkles Cupcakes
- 2 1/4 cups flour (I use all-purpose)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (or milk with 2 teaspoons lemon juice)
- 1 ounce red food coloring** (okay, that is a lot of red food coloring!) It doesn’t change the taste, so I only use 1 teaspoon unless the red color is really important to me.
- 4 teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
Cream Cheese Frosting (This has been revised to show the cream cheese and butter cold, resulting in a less runny frosting.)
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, cold
- 1/4 cup butter, cold
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
- 16 ounces confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Mix flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt in medium bowl. Set aside.
- Beat butter and sugar in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed 5 minutes or until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Mix in sour cream, milk, food color and vanilla. Gradually beat in flour mixture on low speed until just blended. Do not overbeat. Spoon batter into 24 paper-lined muffin cups, filling each cup 2/3 full.
- Bake 18 to 22 minutes or until toothpick inserted into cupcake comes out clean. Gently remove from oven (these are super-moist, and will collapse if you aren’t careful). Cool in pans on wire rack at least 5 minutes. Remove from pans; cool completely. Frost with Cream Cheese Frosting.
- Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting: Beat cold cream cheese, butter, sour cream and Pure Vanilla Extract in large bowl until light and fluffy. Scrape bowl, and beat again. Gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar until smooth. Once smooth, turn beaters to high (I use my Kitchenaid) and whip for 5 minutes. You may need additional powdered sugar to thicken, especially if you are wanting to pile the frosting high like I do, or use a decorating tip.
- Frost the cupcakes generously, and serve at room temperature! If you make these, I hope you will drop me a comment and let me know how they turned out!”My Version!